Old 25-08-2014, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Phalenopsis orchid

On 24/08/2014 23:29, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message ...

On 24/08/2014 20:29, Bertie Doe wrote:

My 2 plants are 4 and 5 years old. Hadn't thought about re-potting.

The planting medium looks like forest bark, is this correct?

Mmm .. maybe it's time you thought about repotting, then. The planting
medium must be well-drained and, yes, it does look like the forest bark one
mulches borders with. However, I use a proprietory orchid compost which
has a high bark content. I also use clear plastic pots. Although many
believe this isn't essential, it does mean the roots get some sunlight
(they can photosynthesise) and it is also clearer when the plant needs
repotting.

It is arguably better to pot on in Spring but, if a plant really needs
potting up, I believe it is better and kinder to pot up when needed. I've
never had a problem with an out-of-season potting up. Indeed, it won't be
long before I'll need to pot up about 10 of mine.

Thx didn't realise there was a special compost. I'll pick up some orchid
feed at the same time.

Probably best.

But if you get more phals (we've got 5 - all presents or rescues), you
might like to try something else (and much cheaper). I use ordinary
potting compost - sometimes with extra JI - mixed with chunks of old
oasis. I would guess that vermiculite or perlite would have the same
effect. As Spider says, the main thing you are after is good drainage,
but also it's important not to let the plants dry out completely. I find
one of the biggest problems with phals is that they soon get top heavy,
and although I use transparent pots, I rather paradoxically put them in
heavy, decorative, pots so that they don't fall over too readily!

--

Jeff