Old 25-08-2014, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Phalenopsis orchid

"Bertie Doe" wrote

"Spider" wrote
Bertie Doe wrote:

My 2 plants are 4 and 5 years old. Hadn't thought about re-potting.

The planting medium looks like forest bark, is this correct?

Mmm .. maybe it's time you thought about repotting, then. The planting
medium must be well-drained and, yes, it does look like the forest bark
one mulches borders with. However, I use a proprietory orchid compost
which has a high bark content. I also use clear plastic pots. Although
many believe this isn't essential, it does mean the roots get some
sunlight (they can photosynthesise) and it is also clearer when the plant
needs repotting.

It is arguably better to pot on in Spring but, if a plant really needs
potting up, I believe it is better and kinder to pot up when needed. I've
never had a problem with an out-of-season potting up. Indeed, it won't be
long before I'll need to pot up about 10 of mine.

Thx didn't realise there was a special compost. I'll pick up some orchid
feed at the same time.

Be careful with your choice of orchid compost, most is suitable for
Cymbidiums not Phals which, as epiphytes, have their roots hanging in the
air where they dry out quickly.
I use bark chippings specially for orchids together with live sphagnum moss
and clear pots do allow the moss to grow in the pot and around the roots
which phals love.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.