Old 25-08-2014, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Phalenopsis orchid

On 24/08/2014 22:44, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bertie Doe" wrote ...

"Spider" wrote

Buds can abort if the plant is turned to face a different direction.
They are unable to turn with the stem, so drop off. This is why
orchids are invariably bought with flowers open. Drought and dryness
can also have the same effect.

I have 2 phals on an East facing window. Problem is, they both suffer
from excess growth on one side.

I've tried adjusting the thin support sticks (supplied) to get them
more upright but with little success.

Don't want to turn them around, as you say, for fear of buds and
flower loss.

Phals naturally grow almost horizontally, they do not grow upwards
normally. They are tropical epiphytes growing on tree branches for support.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5RB79U_TE

I let many of my Phals grow horizontally and they look lovely and more
natural, of course. Even so, I find heavier flower spikes still need a
little support otherwise they'd drag the plant off the window sill!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London