Old 01-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Newbie question about shade

Cindy said:

I live in an area that is loaded with shade. I live in the city on a high
traffic road. The trees can't go. The only sunny spots are in the front, on
the hill next to the road. Isn't there *any* way I can grow something? My
backyard, where I want to grow things, has only spotty sunlight that moves
throughout the day. There isn't a spot that has full sun, period. Are there
any suggestions on what I can do, outside of using a community garden? The
community garden is out.

1) Terrace the hill and plant there. Tomatoes, peppers, okra and eggplants
can be rather ornamental. I remember a garden planted between the front
porch and the sidewalk in a tiny urban garden (the only sunny, southern
exposure).

2) Limb up and/or thin the tree canopy as much as reasonably possible.
Some edibles that can take part-shade are leeks, green onions, non-heading
greens, and even (given just a bit of light) bush beans. Currants, gooseberries,
raspberries and blackberries are fruits that can take some shade.

3) If you are at home all day (or can return during the day), plant in containers
and move them around to the sunniest spots in the back yard.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)