Old 25-08-2014, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Phalenopsis orchid

On 25/08/2014 21:24, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Bertie Doe" wrote

"Spider" wrote
Bertie Doe wrote:

My 2 plants are 4 and 5 years old. Hadn't thought about re-potting.

The planting medium looks like forest bark, is this correct?

Mmm .. maybe it's time you thought about repotting, then. The
planting medium must be well-drained and, yes, it does look like the
forest bark one mulches borders with. However, I use a proprietory
orchid compost which has a high bark content. I also use clear
plastic pots. Although many believe this isn't essential, it does
mean the roots get some sunlight (they can photosynthesise) and it
is also clearer when the plant needs repotting.
snip

Thx didn't realise there was a special compost. I'll pick up some
orchid feed at the same time.

Be careful with your choice of orchid compost, most is suitable for
Cymbidiums not Phals which, as epiphytes, have their roots hanging in
the air where they dry out quickly.
I use bark chippings specially for orchids together with live sphagnum
moss and clear pots do allow the moss to grow in the pot and around
the roots which phals love.

Thanks all for the compost info. The window faces East and gets sun till
about 1pm in Summer. With clear pots, would the roots get baked?

I wouldn't have thought so, certainly not considering most summers. Do
you use clear outer pots, then? I can't imagine you'd put the basic
clear orchid pot straight on a window sill or table. If your outer pots
are fairly solid colour, then you should have no trouble at all.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London