Old 26-08-2014, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ragnar[_3_] Ragnar[_3_] is offline

Default Removing Tomato Leaves

On 25/08/2014 21:09, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Years ago, I watched a TV documentary on tomato growing. The
grower was asked why he removed all the leaves from his plants,
and he said that he supplied all the nutrients they needed, and
he wanted it all to go to the fruit, not into the leaves. He
was growoing in I think a heated greenhouse.

Does anyone do this to their toms?

I'm wondering this year, as they have made an awful lot of
leeaf growth in the greenhouse (cold), and I would like to get
as much sun onto the fruit as possible, giving the weather we
are ahving.

The grower was misguided. Leaves are essential because through
photosynthesis they produce carbohydrates which the growing plant
(including the fruit) needs. Added nutrients can not do this.
By all means remove leaves that are starting to wither or showing signs
of disease but keep the healthy ones..
R.

---