Old 26-08-2014, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
philgurr philgurr is offline

Default Removing Daff leaves: was removing Tomato Leaves

"David Hill" wrote in message

The idea of tying daff leaves in a bunch is just to keep the place tidy without cutting
them off and thus denying the bulb of that feed they still can send in to help develop
it for next season.

Another 'old chestnut' David. Research was carried out in
Cornwall many years ago and it was found that cutting off
the leaves immediately after flowering, greatly improved
the bulbs for the following year. The leaves produced
before flowering are producing the nutrition for the following
year. Allowing the leaves to die back increases the risk
of introducing virus, fungal disease and in particular eelworm
into the bulb. I cut my daff leaves immediately after flowering
and the numbers and health are increasing year on year.

Ardmhor