Old 26-08-2014, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default Seeking advice on pruning these young apple trees

Did I miss any response to this post? I have a new apple tree too and would
like to know about pruning, but I would like to get fruit too.
If I cut off the top shoots, will that encourage more lower shoots to form?

"JD" wrote in message
Earlier this year, I planted three apple saplings which are now 4 to 5.5ft
tall. I've followed the usual advice and started pruning them to establish
what I think is a sensible branch structure - except that I'm not sure
what
I should be doing about their vertical leader ( on trees 1 & 3). I have
posted photos he

http://tinyurl.com/oz7v6b9

I'd like to end up with a reasonably attractivem natural-looking healthy
shape. I'm not concerned about obtaining maximum fruit production, as thes
trees are primarily for providing shade to sit under, and blocking out
unsightly items from view in Summer. I'd like each tree to end up about 10
or ll feet tall.

Trees No 1 & 3 are growing upwards more than outwards. Should I nip the
vertical leaders off? If so, at what height? (Tree no.2 doesn't have such
tall, narrow form, because it got accidentally snapped of at half it's
height shortly after I planted it.

Any advice on pruning these three trees would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jake D

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/