Old 26-08-2014, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seeking advice on pruning these young apple trees

On 26/08/2014 16:16, Spider wrote:
On 23/08/2014 12:21, JD wrote:
Earlier this year, I planted three apple saplings which are now 4 to 5.5ft
tall. I've followed the usual advice and started pruning them to establish
what I think is a sensible branch structure - except that I'm not sure what
I should be doing about their vertical leader ( on trees 1 & 3). I have
posted photos he

http://tinyurl.com/oz7v6b9
(snip)
Any advice on pruning these three trees would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jake D

(snip)

When you do start pruning, you first need to cut out the three 'Ds':
dead, dying and diseased growth. Then any crossing growth, that is, any
inward-growing branches which spoil the shape of the tree and also
increase the possibilty of fungal disease due to restricting air
movement. Also cut out any branch which rubs on another and may cause
wounding, which will subsequently let in disease.

I would only add one thing to Spider's excellent advice. That basically
involves keeping the tree under control. If you let branches get too
long, and any apples that form are out of reach, then you risk leaving
diseased apples on the tree, which may lead to the infection spreading
to other parts of the tree. You also won't be able to harvest them
before they drop and get bruised. If you prune long branches to a
reasonable length, you will always be able to reach the fruit. It will
also lead to a thicker canopy for shade, although you'll have to watch
for crossing and rubbing branches.

--

Jeff