Old 26-08-2014, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Removing Tomato Leaves

""How can you liven up a dead duck?""

I don't know, how can you liven up a dead duck?

Mike

For those ex Royal Navy.
http://angelradioisleofwight.moonfru...ive/4574468641
7.30 – 8.00 pm Wednesday 27th August 2014
‘From the Crowe’s Nest’

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

On 26/08/2014 10:32, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 26/08/2014 08:48, Ragnar wrote:
On 25/08/2014 21:09, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Years ago, I watched a TV documentary on tomato growing. The
grower was asked why he removed all the leaves from his plants,
and he said that he supplied all the nutrients they needed, and
he wanted it all to go to the fruit, not into the leaves. He
was growoing in I think a heated greenhouse.

Does anyone do this to their toms?

I'm wondering this year, as they have made an awful lot of
leeaf growth in the greenhouse (cold), and I would like to get
as much sun onto the fruit as possible, giving the weather we
are ahving.

The grower was misguided. Leaves are essential because through
photosynthesis they produce carbohydrates which the growing plant
(including the fruit) needs. Added nutrients can not do this.
By all means remove leaves that are starting to wither or showing signs
of disease but keep the healthy ones..
R.

Absolutely. I wonder how this nonsense of removing leaves to ripen fruit
occurred. Isn't it recommended with grapes, too? Ripening is
hormone-controlled, and that hormone is mainly ethylene. Since ripening
can occur in the dark (such as putting unripe fruit inside a paper bag
with ripe bananas to help ripen it), light isn't required. Just another
one of the old gardening chestnuts which abound (I'd love to know how
the idea of tying daffodil leaves in knots after flowering started!).

Maybe it would liven up Gardener's World if once every episode they
examined an old gardening chestnut to see if there was any truth in it.

How can you liven up a dead duck?