Old 26-08-2014, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default Plum tree

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"philgurr" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote
Please advise me on my plum tree which has not fruited this year and
the leaves have holes in them?

The plum tree on our allotments hasn't fruited this year either and
only one of our 4 cherries, the later flowered one, had a decent crop.
I believe it was because there were no insects about when they
flowered they they didn't get pollinated.

Thank you. We did get a lot of bees - which I hadn't seen for a very
long time - but I think they were too late. I do have some apples
(James Grieve) but not too many. Down to weather do you suppose?

I am a beekeeper so no problem with pollinators. I just
didn't get any flowers!

Ahh that throws THAT theory out of the window then I didn't get any
flowers at all either. Was it exceptionally cold?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

A lot of Fruit trees like a proper period of cold to set the dormant buds
for the following year, it varies a lot from variety to variety, also a
cold windy blast at the wrong time can cause mayhem with the emerging
flower buds.

So really, it is in the lap of the gods and there is nothing I can do but
wait? Actually hearing all this is something of a relief. I thought I had
done something wrong to it

I had a good set on all my fruit trees only to watch a lot go down with
scab, pear midge and plum moth.

Oh dear

Thank god for Figs!!

G I've never thought of growing figs