Old 27-08-2014, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Christmas cactus

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:16:47 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

I started a CC in December from a piece that fell off of my MIL's plant.
It was growing nicely under fluorescent lights, and I repotted it
about a month ago and moved it to my desk at work, right by an
east-facing window and the lights are always off at night. I wanted it
to be able to tell the day lengths.

I thought it should be going dormant now that the days are getting
noticably shorter, but instead it's growing like crazy. At least a
dozen new leaves in the past 2 weeks, and I see new ones starting to bud.

Hers was blooming at Thanksgiving; mine could be several weeks before or
after that 'cause I'm hundreds of miles farther north.

Maybe the dormancy period is shorter than I think? And it doesn't start
until after the equinox? I've never grown one of these before. (I had
no idea they grow so fast)

There are several varieties:
http://whittongreenhouses.com/variety.htm
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/st...fm?NewsID=8570