Old 27-08-2014, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Seeking advice on pruning these young apple trees

On 27/08/2014 16:20, Ophelia wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

As to "lots of new shoots", I'm wondering if these could be 'water
shoots' (uncharacteristic, straight growths) following a previous
episode of pruning.

I have never pruned those trees that far down, nor have I ever pruned
the cotoneaster, holly or hydrangea ... ever. Yes they all have a
similar growth.

Sorry, Ophelia, I've just realised that I didn't comment on your other
shrubs and tree. Since I've just let dinner boil over, will you forgive
me if I look in again tomorrow?

Oh dear, I am so sorry about your dinner There is nothing to
forgive, I am
grateful you have been giving me so much of your time and tomorrow
would be
wonderful

If they are, you can select some to keep and some
to remove so the crown doesn't get too congested. If they are simply
normal characteristic growths *and* in the right places, then I guess
you're a cheerful rabbit.

I am not sure about the plum and apple. I am suddenly realising
some of
those growths might be on root stock (if that is the name of the base).
I must go and check. The other three have no root stock. It seems odd
that I am having the same growth on them all.

This is where a photo would help, if poss. Promise to have another look
tomorrow and fill in anything I missed.

Will do. Thank you

Hydrangea

http://tinypic.com/3ia48q4y

As you can see, the lower part of the trunk is thick with shoots)

Hi again Ophelia,

I'm dealing with the climbing Hydrangea first as it should be pruned
after flowering, if needed. In fact, The Book says no formative pruning
is necessary. However, looking at your pic, I can see that, indeed,
there is a lot of growth low down. It certainly *looks* healthy enough,
so I'm going for a 'shot in the dark': as far as I can see, no part of
the hydrangea is attached (by aerial roots) to anything, although it
seems to be roughly supported by the trellis behind, and this may be the
problem. (I'm surmising here that the problem is that it is not really
climbing and growing away, but putting all its growth near the bottom of
what is effectively the trunk?)
A climbing hydrangea needs to be tied in to a supporting structure like
a wall or tree until it forms aerial roots and securely attaches itself.
Once it has done this, apparently, it will climb away vigorously. So,
if my surmise is correct, you will need to give it a proper support, tie
young growths in until they 'take' and stand well back.

Hoping this is what you want to hear ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London