Old 27-08-2014, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default Seeking advice on pruning these young apple trees

"Spider" wrote in message

Hi again Ophelia,

I'm dealing with the climbing Hydrangea first as it should be pruned after
flowering, if needed. In fact, The Book says no formative pruning is
necessary. However, looking at your pic, I can see that, indeed, there is
a lot of growth low down. It certainly *looks* healthy enough, so I'm
going for a 'shot in the dark': as far as I can see, no part of the
hydrangea is attached (by aerial roots) to anything, although it seems to
be roughly supported by the trellis behind, and this may be the problem.
(I'm surmising here that the problem is that it is not really climbing and
growing away, but putting all its growth near the bottom of what is
effectively the trunk?)

I just didn't understand why the trunk was sprouting so much growth. It
always used to be bare. There has been plenty of growth at the top and
plenty of flowers. Actually almost the whole of the trunk is now lush) I
have never tied it to the trellis, it just seemed to attach itself I will
post a pic of the top if that would be helpful - and if you don't mind? It
would give you a better view. Certainly I have never pruned it. I
wouldn't really know if it needed it or not

A climbing hydrangea needs to be tied in to a supporting structure like a
wall or tree until it forms aerial roots and securely attaches itself.
Once it has done this, apparently, it will climb away vigorously. So, if
my surmise is correct, you will need to give it a proper support, tie
young growths in until they 'take' and stand well back.

Thank you! . I will check it out in the morning and cut out the dead
flowers and make sure it is all secure. It sits next to the cotoneaster so
maybe they support each other

Hoping this is what you want to hear ;~).

Oh yes I am Very Grateful for All your advice! I know very little and
am gardening 'in the dark' if you see what I mean. I have been reading here
and have been learning bit by bit, but not as fully as the advice you are
giving me now))) This is the garden at our cottage and I haven't had too
much time to spend up here anyway, apart from the fact that we have been
travelling with work for several years as well, so this garden has been
somewhat neglected. I will post a pic of the tops ... if that is ok with
you?

Thank you very much!

Ophelia

--