Old 27-08-2014, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Seeking advice on pruning these young apple trees

On 27/08/2014 19:47, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

Hi again Ophelia,

I'm dealing with the climbing Hydrangea first as it should be pruned
after flowering, if needed. In fact, The Book says no formative
pruning is necessary. However, looking at your pic, I can see that,
indeed, there is a lot of growth low down. It certainly *looks*
healthy enough, so I'm going for a 'shot in the dark': as far as I
can see, no part of the hydrangea is attached (by aerial roots) to
anything, although it seems to be roughly supported by the trellis
behind, and this may be the problem. (I'm surmising here that the
problem is that it is not really climbing and growing away, but
putting all its growth near the bottom of what is effectively the trunk?)

I just didn't understand why the trunk was sprouting so much growth. It
always used to be bare. There has been plenty of growth at the top and
plenty of flowers. Actually almost the whole of the trunk is now
lush) I have never tied it to the trellis, it just seemed to attach
itself I will post a pic of the top if that would be helpful - and
if you don't mind? It would give you a better view. Certainly I have
never pruned it. I wouldn't really know if it needed it or not

A climbing hydrangea needs to be tied in to a supporting structure
like a wall or tree until it forms aerial roots and securely attaches
itself. Once it has done this, apparently, it will climb away
vigorously. So, if my surmise is correct, you will need to give it a
proper support, tie young growths in until they 'take' and stand well
back.

Thank you! . I will check it out in the morning and cut out the dead
flowers and make sure it is all secure. It sits next to the cotoneaster
so maybe they support each other

Hoping this is what you want to hear ;~).

Oh yes I am Very Grateful for All your advice! I know very little
and am gardening 'in the dark' if you see what I mean. I have been
reading here and have been learning bit by bit, but not as fully as the
advice you are giving me now))) This is the garden at our cottage and
I haven't had too much time to spend up here anyway, apart from the fact
that we have been travelling with work for several years as well, so
this garden has been somewhat neglected. I will post a pic of the tops
... if that is ok with you?

Thank you very much!

Ophelia

By all means post another pic and I will take a look at it (probably on
Friday, as I said in my other post) and see if it tells me anything new.
It may just be that it's very happy and only wants the lightest of
trims after flowering. If you're happy with its shape and the received
wisdom is not to prune, then happily this may be a non-problem ;~). If
there is some specific area you're not happy with, try and describe it
as best you can, so I know what I'm looking at. I'll look in again soon.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London