Old 27-08-2014, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default Seeking advice on pruning these young apple trees

"Spider" wrote in message

apple
http://tinypic.com/m/i6kxms/3

The new shoots and branches are well below the fruiting top and there is
a big gap between both.

It is very sparse, isn't it?! Not just few branches, but few leaves, too.
I'm slightly concerned that the tree appears to be right by paving slabs
or perhaps steps, with grass growing fairly close to it.

Yes, it is near slabs and the grass is rather overgrown!!! I haven't been
here for a long time Since we have been back though I have been running
the water hose on that area for quite a long time.

The
first may prevent water, and therefore nutrients, reaching the tree. The
second is certainly taking nutrients and water from the tree. Even if the
growth were better balanced, you could expect to get 'bitter pit' in your
apples. This occurs when the tree cannot take up enough calcium.
Usually, the calcium is in the soil, but shortage of water prevents the
tree from taking advantage of it in the dissolved form it needs. If
you've had bitter pit in your apples, you will know about it, because it
renders them inedible.

I understand! Luckily the few apples we have atm taste good! Not too many
but we are enjoying them. I am not sure what has happened in previous years
because we haven't been here. Could any falls have provided some kind of
food ... or is that just daft?

As to pruning, you certainly need to cut back that leader in winter. There
is a significant lower branch crossing and potentially rubbing the main
trunk, or so it appears.

Yes! You are right! I guess I will learn from my new book which are the
ones to leave? I can remember trying to prune it before in years past and
was afraid of cutting out too much, but yes, I did leave some crossed
branches

You will need to cut this back as far as
the rising upright branch with which it makes a 'V' shape. You will also
need to take out the much smaller branch on the right which is growing
towards the trunk. It appears that the tree has not been well pruned
before, as I'm seeing dead or dying stubs left from old pruning cuts, and
even a tear in the bark higher up where a branch has been pulled away,
rather than cut. All these should be cut out or back to clean wood, if
possible.

Oh my. Yes! I will do that! In Winter you say?

Apart from that, I would leave it alone and see how it responds. It is a
mistake to remove too much wood at once. Do your pruning in winter when
the tree is dormant. In Spring, when it starts to put on growth, give it
a feed with general purpose fertiliser. When it starts to produce
fruitlets, give it a high potash feed and keep it well watered.

I will! We intend to stay here for some time now.

Sorry, had to do this is in a hurry. Husband Thingy serving dinner!
Hope what I've said makes sense.

I am working on it and will get it sorted) (All saved for future
reference!)

I'll look in later in case of
questions. (I may have to do the other shrubs/tree on Friday).

Thank you but I am in no hurry! I am just so thrilled that you would take
so much time and trouble to help!

Enjoy your dinner)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/