Old 27-08-2014, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Seeking advice on pruning these young apple trees

On 27/08/2014 21:19, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

Sorry, Ophelia, I didn't attempt to answer your query about the sudden
sprouting of growth near the base. I can't be certain, but is it
possible that there has been some damage (perhaps due to your canine
friend? or the weather? or pest damage?) which has caused the
hydrangea to put fight back by putting on growth?

Other than the fact that our dog began to chew the cotoneaster ... I
don't think she went near the hydrangea. As for the rest ... I don't
know because we haven't been here for a long time.

Otherwise, I'm wondering about
a source of extra nutrients. Has a neighbour - or yourself - moved a
tree/shrub nearby which has allowed both more water and food to reach
your tree?

Yes! There was a bin of compost which had been sitting there for a few
years and when we came back we emptied it and scattered the contents
around!
Could that account for the extra lower growth?

Yes! It certainly could. Don't you put on extra growth (especially
lower down!) if you devour a feast!? Well, that seems to account for
it, then. Mystery solved.

Sorry to answer in questions, but that's just my line of thought at
the moment and I'm thinking out loud.

Please do I am thrilled you are bothering)

Thank you

You're welcome.
--
Spider.