Old 28-08-2014, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default What to do ...

In article ,
lid (Drew Lawson) wrote:

I'm tempted to make salsa, but that would just lead to eating more
chips, which I really should not do. (Suddenly, I have a craving.)

Make chips you can feel good about eating! I'm the odd man out in that I
generally don't much like tomato sauce (I don't put it on pasta, I don't
mind it on pizza, but I don't miss it on pizza either.)

When tomatoes overrun us (not this year) I run a dehydrator like a mad
man - and when apples over-run us, likewise. The tomatoes usually get
eaten straight, sometimes soaked in a bit of balsamic vinegar for some
uses.

Our command decision to stick with only cherry tomatoes (after a "try
all types" survey experiment) is partly based on easy of processing for
dehydrating (clean, slice in half, put skin-side down) - tomatoes that
are big enough to need to go in slices stick to the trays more
aggressively and also dry down to almost nothing in the middle slices.
Cherrys are also easier for us to get to harvest without defects
(splits, rot, etc.) and if one is affected, you can toss it and move to
a good one, rather than feeling the need to cut out the bad part and
salvage the rest of the large tomato (which is time-consuming when time
is short.)

"Sun-drying" is a nice idea for some other climate - here, you can
pretty much bet on mold and generally unsuitable weather, so we don't
even bother to try.