Old 29-08-2014, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Phalenopsis orchid

On 29/08/2014 13:54, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Yes, this does seem to happen and I think it is in the nature of the
beast. Indeed, with some orchids (Cambria types and Oncidiums among
many), the growth habit tends to have new shoots/bulbs arising from
one side of the plant only. When potting on, it is essential to
replant so that the 'new growth' portion of the plant is more central
to allow plenty of room for new pseudobulbs to grow. This temporarily
makes it more upright, but the growth habit takes over and new growth
gradually fills the void and then starts leaning again.

I think if you love orchids, then you put up with their sometimes
untidy nature, lopsidedness and aerial roots being the main gripe.
I know someone who always cut the aerial roots off their Phals simply
because they looked untidy! ... then complained to me that her orchids
didn't do very well. Amazing!

I wonder what they would do to those in the family that don't have any
leaves, only roots?

You might well wonder, Bob! I suspect that, since they had little
success with Phals, they didn't venture into the more esoteric.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London