Old 30-08-2014, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Watering young fruit trees

On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:01:19 -0700 (PDT), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 5:33:45 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

This is about a Santa Rosa plum and a Blenheim Apricot.

Planted same time; about 4-5 years ago. I assumed that at that age they would be living on ground water, but gardener told me contrary today! Horrified! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! Is he right?!

Plum is healthy-looking; well leafed-out. Apricot no; looks puny; suckers galore.

I remove; they return.

Went on-line but nothing relevant to my question. They discuss baby trees but don't talk about watering 4-5 years old.

This is So Calif coastal. Anybody Up Here or Down There offer any wisdom?

Tx

If you're in CA why do you sign Tx?

That's computerese short for "thanks".

Oh.

A neat method for watering trees in arid climes is with 4" diameter
perforated PVC pipe. With a post hole digger or auger make post holes
aboout 30" deep about the tree drip line 120º apart. Insert a length
of perforated pipe into each hole with about 2" above grade. Then
each day or as needed fill each pipe with water, can fertilze too.
Most tree roots don't go more than two feet deep and most feeder roots
are just below the surface.