Old 31-08-2014, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Unusual trefoil

On 30/08/2014 22:37, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote .
Sacha wrote:

We've just been in the field and have found a trefoil with a black leaf
and small yellow flower like a lesser trefoil. The leaf has absolutely
no green on it whatsoever. There's only one small clump that we could
see. Naturally, I didn't have the camera with me but will take a photo
tomorrow. Does anyone have an inkling of which type of trefoil this
might be?

Did you look at the flower closely? The reason I ask is that I
have been caught out by oxalis before now, and there IS a dark
leaved variety of that!

Yes, we have Oxalis corniculata var. atropurpurea , some very deep
purple/red, infesting our garden and it's a devil to get rid of especially
in the block paving. I've now resorted to a flame gun. Unfortunately it's a
very common weed around these parts.

I've got that stuff infesting our shingle paths and invading beds and
pots wherever it can. It's a pretty little plant really, but
unfortunately spreads far too quickly. I find if you try and dig it out
when it's already started seeding it shoots the seeds all over the place
as soon as it's touched, rather like hairy bittercress does.

--
Sue