Old 31-08-2014, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Watering young fruit trees

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

I'm honestly not getting it. Never was good at spatial stuff g
Do you mean the 4" buried pipe is perforated
only at the water entry point? Open at both ends?
I was visualizing buried pipe blocked at both ends,
with a 2" vertical "filler" pipe inserted into it.
Water would then exit underground 4" pipe via
several perforations rather than sudden gush.
Is this design overkill?

You obviously don't know what perforated PVC pipe is... there are
various types, check your local big box hardware store. It's
relatively inexpensive, about a buck a foot in 10' lenghts. Cuts
fairly easily with a hack saw. Dig the post holes and insert lenghts
of pipe vertically and back fill... I think now you should get it.
http://perforatedpvcpipe.com/perfora...s-properf.html
http://www.lowes.com/pd_24141-1814-P...ductId=3362194
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...0010/203298773
Some people prefer to buy solid PVC pipe (costs a bit less) and drill
their own holes to a size and pattern they prefer... just more labor.
Also a plumbing supply emporium will have more choices. If you're not
fussy about aesthetics another tree watering method is with 5 gallon
contractor buckets; drill a couple of 1/4" holes in the bottom set
around the tree and fill with water... far less labor (no digging).
But I think the perforated pipe method is a lot more efficient for
deep watering. Once the tree is well established you can choose to
remove the pipes. There are many other tree watering products:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oasis-8-i...-202101553-_-x