Old 31-08-2014, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Watering young fruit trees

On Sunday, August 31, 2014 8:04:45 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

I'm honestly not getting it. Never was good at spatial stuff g

Do you mean the 4" buried pipe is perforated

only at the water entry point? Open at both ends?

I was visualizing buried pipe blocked at both ends,

with a 2" vertical "filler" pipe inserted into it.

Water would then exit underground 4" pipe via

several perforations rather than sudden gush.

Is this design overkill?

You obviously don't know what perforated PVC pipe is... there are

various types, check your local big box hardware store. It's

relatively inexpensive, about a buck a foot in 10' lenghts. Cuts

fairly easily with a hack saw. Dig the post holes and insert lenghts

of pipe vertically and back fill... I think now you should get it.

http://perforatedpvcpipe.com/perfora...s-properf.html

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24141-1814-P...ductId=3362194

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...0010/203298773

Some people prefer to buy solid PVC pipe (costs a bit less) and drill

their own holes to a size and pattern they prefer... just more labor.

Also a plumbing supply emporium will have more choices. If you're not

fussy about aesthetics another tree watering method is with 5 gallon

contractor buckets; drill a couple of 1/4" holes in the bottom set

around the tree and fill with water... far less labor (no digging).

But I think the perforated pipe method is a lot more efficient for

deep watering. Once the tree is well established you can choose to

remove the pipes. There are many other tree watering products:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oasis-8-i...-202101553-_-x

Gracias for mimi-tutorial - much appreciated.

I HAVE been perforating my own PCV pipes (smalldiam) which serve nicely for watering beds (instead of soaker hoses).

So I might go that way with buried pipes, depending how many holes the commercial variety has; I assume not as many as with my watering-bed pipes.
If many holes required I'll let them do it g.

Pls address my q. re; blocking ends of pipe. I still can't visualize pouring a whole bunch of water down the intake, and having it all gush out at once.

TIA

HB