Old 31-08-2014, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What to do ...

On 8/31/2014 10:47 AM, Gil wrote:
On 31/08/2014 12:17 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 27/08/2014 11:31 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
When you're overrun with tomatoes ?

I just run excess tomatoes through the machine that takes off the skin
and pips and chucks it all off to one side and which leaves a slightly
thickened juice/pulp which comes out the other side. This I preserve
by bottling (canning in USian). It can then be used for a thousand
an one things (including cooking down to a pulp at some later stage)
but our favourite is to use it to make tomato soup in winter.

What is this machine called and who makes it?

Check Leevalley. Works well, and we've had ours for years.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...120,33279&ap=1

I've had an El Cheapo "Back to Basics" Food Strainer and sauce maker for
years. Ran upon an extended set of strainers at a local junk shop, still
in the box and paid two bucks for all of them. If you get one throw away
the pewter nut that hold the handle on and get a steel nut that fits,
works much better that way. Recently I built a short extension for the
bolt that turns the mill and use a battery powered hand drill to turn
the thing. Saves a lot of cranking.

Lehman's also stocks various mills and strainers here in the U.S. of A.
I've even got a meat grinder for my Kitchen Aid mixer but can't find the
proper screens for that one or it would be my favorite.

Do I have to many kitchen gadgets? Naw, there's never enough of that
sort of thing.

George