Old 31-08-2014, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default Pics of trees for Spider

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 31/08/2014 14:11, Spider wrote:
Yikes! Most important! Before you remove any significant branches off
anything, you will need to know about 'undercutting'. This is the
technique that stops bark tearing on the underside of the branch as you
finish your cut. I'll cover that next time. Ta ra for now.

Just a quick one, you can cut the branch off in 2 sessions, the first 12"
or 18" above where you want the final cut so any bark tearing should occur
above the final cut then make the final cut where Spider tells you it
should be.
I do this cutting branches off trees when I have to be up a ladder.
Spider is doing a great job explaining it all to you. It's a pity she
hasn't got it all down as a booklet so you could print it off to keep for
future reference.

Thanks, David, I have saved all her posts so will have something useful to
read in the depth of winter ... that and the new book she advised)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/