Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default What to do ...

On 1/09/2014 12:31 AM, songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

When you're overrun with tomatoes ?

I just run excess tomatoes through the machine that takes off the skin
and pips and chucks it all off to one side and which leaves a slightly
thickened juice/pulp which comes out the other side. This I preserve
by bottling (canning in USian). It can then be used for a thousand
an one things (including cooking down to a pulp at some later stage)
but our favourite is to use it to make tomato soup in winter.

What is this machine called and who makes it?

sounds like a version of a food mill to me. or
even a juicer would do similar.

It's not a food mill as such. It's more specific thatn that anme
implies - it's quite specifically for tomatoes. All of the
Italo-Australians I know have ones that are similar.

The Mouli (which is a food mill) doesn't do as good a job on tomatoes as
the specific gizmo I've got and nor does anything else. It really is
quite brilliant.