Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cotula cotula is offline

Default Slug eats slug

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 09:17:09 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:54:42 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

snip

Also provides good bait, squash one early then you can squash the
feeders as well a bit later.

Yes - I had thought of that this morning: there was another on the now three
dead slugs tucking in. (It had rained in the night and must have washed all of
the salt away -so he was quite happy to eat his unsalted ex-mates).

I thought if I leave the little pile, it will attract fresh ones. Salt the new
one - wash off the salt next morning - and this show could run and run !!

Another point is that some of them are really huge: well about five inches,
light brown in colour and red "fins" on the edge of the body with the
underside.

I had not particularly noticed such ones before - loads of 2" ones- often
black.

I then wondered: how would a different species of slug get in to my garden: it
is totally fenced/walled.

But surely we want to keep the carniverous slugs which prey on other
slugs? I had understood that while many (most?) slugs are herbiverous
and damage plants, not all are.

----

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.