Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Butternut Squash

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Growing these from seed for the first time this year. (Have
bought plants before OK). Nice fruit developing then suddenly
over the week it has gone mouldy, covered all over with a light
gray coloured mould. Cut it off the plant and it was soft and
squidgy. Any idea as to cause, and will remaining fruit suffer?
Not sure if they will really have time to swell and ripen, I
can but hope!

Sorry to her that Roger, I've only ever had the small, presumably
unpollinated, fruit go rotten. My plants are beginning to look very autumnal
and are dying back but there are a lot of nice squashes that need to ripen.
No doubt the plant will shortly show signs of mildew.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.