Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default !! Pics of trees for Spider

"Spider" wrote in message
On 01/09/2014 23:21, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

[pruned]

Bulbs

But you're loving every minute of it, I bet :~). Hope you've left
enough time to plant some bulbs for spring;~).

??? I hadn't even thought about those!!! Do I still have time???

You certainly do! You can tulips off for a bit, but you could be
planting
lots of other lovely gems. Time for a visit to the garden centre, me
thinks!

Yes? Then I shall have a trip there in Sunday)) I do love daffodils!
Will I be in time?

Yes, indeed. Just grab 'em and bung 'em in! If your soil is on the heavy
side, buy a bag of sharp sand or grit to work into the bottom of the
planting hole to improve drainage.

Thank you Will do) Gosh that will be a treat and liven things up in
the spring)

Thanks, will do) Incidentally, I have seen 'growmore' in the
pound
shops. Will that be the same stuff I see in garden centres?

It certainly should be, or it shouldn't carry the name. Have a look
on line so you know what n-p-k proper Growmore has, and compare
prices/sizes before you check out the local cheapie.

I will do that! Thank you err what is n-p-k please?

Sorry! It is Nitrogen-Phosphorous-Potassium. When you buy a plant feed,
look at the n-p-k ratio on the label. It will tell you the proportion of
each nutrient, so you can feed your plants correctly. In spring, you may
be looking for a more nitrogenous feed, so look for a higher 'n'number.
Later in the year, or when a plant is producing flowers, you will need to
look for a higher 'K' number. This is the 'high potash feed' that you
will have seen recommended on urg whenever a plant fails to flower or
fruit as expected, but it is also used regularly by many gardeners to keep
their roses (and other flowers) and tomatoes performing.
Nitrogen promotes leafy growth, Phosphorus encourages root development,
Potassium promotes flower and fruit production (it also helps to
ripen/harden off plant growth and help prepare it for winter).

Gosh, the technical stuff eh)) Thank you Good thing! I am saving your
posts to refer to)

I don't know everything. I have my weaknesses.

Well you are very knowledgeable and you have been very kind and generous
with your expertise and time.

Plum

You're more than welcome. I've enjoyed doing it.
It could certainly be very damaging and, on a plum tree, it could let in
Silver Leaf and heaven knows what. I seem to think you had a torn
stub on
your plum tree. It had partly healed and partly died back, so you'll be
able to see what can happen following a bad cut. That stub needs your
attention since you're going to become an expert overnight ;~)!

Huh! Expert? Me? lol anyway I am not sure which stub you are
referring
to. Oh dear, you have me worried now.

I can only guide you to it by looking at your first set of pics, so I'll
I've added nothing below so you need not scroll down. I'll see you at
JD's original post.

Ok thanks. You will see I have reposted them because I clear pics out that
I think I have done with

Thank you, as always)

Best O

--