Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Skin stuff

In article ,
Tahiri wrote:

I am not sure what we are targeting Nick. Something very very small that is
only in our rural garden (worse in the outbuildings) for a few weeks in
summer. I suspect mice fleas or something like that.

I.e. most of the bites are on your lower legs?

With such things, the best defence is long trousers tucked into
socks, previously having had their lower halves soaked in some
repellent. It doesn't have to be fancy - very dilute Jeyes
fluid would be fine (if you can stand the smell).

Being worse in outbuildings does imply some sort of animal-carried
parasite, but it could easily be mites or lice as fleas - anyway,
the same defence works. I assume that you would recognise ticks,
so it won't be them :-)

However, my previous point stands. ANYTHING will discourage most
of the biting insects over most of the UK, Scottish midges are
harder to discourage, and people travelling to the tropics need
to take advice targetted for the area.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.