Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Skin stuff

On 2014-09-02 16:29:21 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Tahiri wrote:

Whenever the question of insect repellant arises, in this and other
newsgroups, Avon skinsosoft is usually recommended. On looking at Avon's
online shop they appear to have several products under this name. Which one
or doesn't it matter?

Against what? Against the wimpish insects that occur over most of
the UK, anything will do. Against Scottish midges, DTE (Jungle
Formula etc.) has some effect. Against the nastier insects you
get in the tropics, DMP has some effect, but you can't get it any
longer.

Realistically, the best defence is to cover up, not forgetting
midge masks etc. and the fact that mosquitoes etc. can bite through
thin clothing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick, it really isn't wimpish to want protection from English
mosquitoes. One of my daughters has a horrible reaction to mosquito
bites and ended up on abtibiotics only a month ago. This not the first
time for her, either. In past years she's ended up with eyes swollen
almost shut. Not everyone can shrug things off so lightly. My stepson
has had several horsefly bites with no more than discomfort, another
member of our team had to go to hospital with just one. As far as Skin
So Soft is concerned, it's effective. If Canadian lumberjacks use it -
and I'm told, reliably, that they do, why would you mock someone for
wanting to protect themselves from discomfort or worse? Not everyone
wants to test Tsetse fly protection to destruction in the gardens of
England.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com