Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Skin stuff

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 12:24:07 +0100, Janet wrote:

The manager of the sheep farm across the road from me, claims that
Skin-So-Soft works very well, but wears off quickly and must be
reapplied frequently. The midges here are truly vicious.

It's a subject of Snopes

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

That's about mosquitoes.

Scottish midges are an entirely different insect species which IME are
deterred by Avon skinsosoft exactly as Sheila said.

DEET repels them all.

To some extent. In my experience, it is only partially effective
against Scottish midges and tropical insects (including mosquitoes).
If you look, you will find lots of warnings not to rely on it as
a defence against (say) malaria.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.