Old 04-09-2014, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Skin stuff

In article ,
Janet wrote:

I use Deet in the tropics against mosquitoes, where it works

As a deterrent, yes, but not as a defence. And, in the tropics,
that difference matters. There are no vaccines against many of the
diseases caused by biting insects (nor effective treatments, in
many cases).

In my experience Deet is useless as a deterrent against Scottish
midges. In Scotland, where I have lived for 40 + years, I use skin so
soft.

Exactly which one? My experience is that DTE isn't useless against
midges, but the discomfort caused by it on the bites that do occur
balances the discomfort of just getting bitten! I am interested in
trying something better ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.