Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Skin stuff

On 04/09/2014 09:20, Martin wrote:

I use DEET on my clothes not on my skin. Dutch tests resulted in recommendations
of repellents that contained at least 50% DEET.

Yes, it works, but the biggest problem with DEET is that it is a pretty
good solvent for some plastics.

Many years ago some good Aussie friends were returning to Australia via
some tropical countries. I did them a good turn (I thought) by making
them a couple of hundred grams of 50% DEET in a cream base. As they were
flying, to save weight, I used a plastic jar. When they got back to Oz
they wrote that after a few weeks, the jar dissolved and they got a
creamy, plasticky, mess all over their clothes! Fortunately we remained
good friends...

I sometimes wonder if there are strange fingerprint patterns over
today's digital cameras and mobile phones if they are handled after
someone rubs DEET on their skin. :-).

--

Jeff