Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Bigal Bigal is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
Why do people need to post claims with nothing to back them up... I
seriously doubted tomato roots grew 10' deep, so I checked, at best
they grow 2' deep and about as wide, with the main portion about 1'
deep, just like most trees.
How Deep & Wide Does a Full-Grown Tomato Plant Grow? | Home Guides | SF Gate

Redwood trees don't have very deep root systems, especially
considering their height:
Redwood National Park
Sounds as if you are trying to bonsai tomatoes. I used to use grow bags to grow mine in, but the roots would grow through the drainage holes in the bottom, through gaps in the 100 mm (4 in) flooring blocks and into the soil underneath. Easily 10 inches. I currently use 12 in deep (2 1/2 gallon) buckets, and the roots take up most of the space