Old 08-09-2014, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Tomato Roots

Bi gal wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:

Why do people need to post claims with nothing to back them up... I
seriously doubted tomato roots grew 10' deep, so I checked, at best
they grow 2' deep and about as wide, with the main portion about 1'
deep, just like most trees.
'How Deep & Wide Does a Full-Grown Tomato Plant Grow? | Home Guides | SF
Gate' (http://tinyurl.com/lvwgrbw)

Redwood trees don't have very deep root systems, especially
considering their height:
'Redwood National Park' (http://tinyurl.com/7dnz5qu)

Sounds as if you are trying to bonsai tomatoes. I used to use grow bags
to grow mine in, but the roots would grow through the drainage holes in
the bottom, through gaps in the 100 mm (4 in) flooring blocks and into
the soil underneath. Easily 10 inches. I currently use 12 in deep (2
1/2 gallon) buckets, and the roots take up most of the space

So, if I gave you 10" it'd feel like I'm giving you 10'... ya know,
I believe you! LOL