Old 09-09-2014, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Almost vanished

On 09/09/2014 12:02, Malcolm wrote:

In article , CT
writes
David Hill wrote:

I don't know what has happened, from having a mass of birds on the
feeders suddenly yesterday there were almost none, I saw less birds
on them yesterday than I had been seeing in 15 mins. today is the
same, it's almost as if they have all migrated, but Tits etc. just
don't do that. Anyone else had the same?

Not quite as dramatic as that, but certainly inr the last few weeks my
feeders have lasted a week before being emptied whereas prior to that I
was filling them up pretty much every day.

What has happened to Chris is a bit sudden, so I would speculate a
sparrowhawk has been paying it too much attention.

However, in your case, a drop off in birds at feeders is quite normal in
late summer as the hedgerows fill up with berries (it's a fine
blackberry year here in western Scotland) while the fields have spilt
grain after the harvest and weed seeds, etc. When the birds have
finished that lot, they'll be back to your feeders, never fear!

I didn't think Tits fed on fruit and grain.