Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Gladiolus from its seeds ?

"Janet" wrote

says...

"ws" wrote

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 15:44:54 +0100, Janet wrote:

A clump of Black Prince (iirc) which has survived several winters in
the
open garden, has produced fat seed pods for the first time.

Has anyone propagated cultivated, large-flowered glads from their own
garden seed? Any guesses how long from seed to flowering size corms?

From memory, plant one season, overwinter, they should flower next
season.

I think you may be confusing seed with the tiny corms that some Glads
produce around their existing corms, and they take more than one season
flower anyway IME.

I think you're right BOB (I thought that seemed awfully quick too)

I get loads of new corms but they will be clones of the parent
anyway... only seeds offer the prospect of "now for something
completely different" (as Monty Dons twin brother Python might have
said)

I would usually agree with you but we bought some Glads from Pheasant Acre
Plants last year, delivered this spring and one batch, Rotary, has one that
is distinctly different, a redder orange, on showing a photo to the guy from
the nursery (at Wisley flower show) he said it's a sport and what a lucky
chap I am. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.