Old 11-09-2014, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default My running black thumb zuke count

On 08/31/2014 12:47 AM, Todd wrote:
On 08/31/2014 12:43 AM, Todd wrote:
On 08/24/2014 11:01 PM, Todd wrote:
On 08/17/2014 02:13 PM, Todd wrote:
On 08/10/2014 07:09 PM, Todd wrote:
On 08/02/2014 11:47 PM, Todd wrote:
On 07/31/2014 10:57 PM, Todd wrote:
On 07/30/2014 06:54 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Todd said:
Hi All,

Of my 14 zuke plants, here is my black thumb running
total.

two weeks ago: two fruit
one week ago: two fruit
this week: one fruit

Think I should fertilize? When the local organic farm
was open (turkeys moved on me), they told me the fertilized
A LOT. Their zuke plants were twice the size as mine.

Anyone have a favorite organic fertilizer for zukes?

Depends on your soil. Have it tested!

My soil has a good P bank, so I don't need to use fertilizers that
contain high phosphorous. So mainly I use alfalfa pellets (horse
food) and compost I make with shredded leaves.

Tomato-tone by Espoma would probably be good for squash
as well, and I have relied on it for years. That, or Plant-tone.

The only organic one I could find was Dr. Earth's
all purpose. Dumped two boxes on the guys.

I harvested 4 and 1/2 this week. Things are looking
slightly better.

Along with the one from last wee in the crisper, I
have enough for a pan full.

This week only got 1! Poop!

11! Yippee. I think it is the fertilizer I applied
two weeks ago. Applied again last Thursday.

Hi All,

18-1/2! More than I have ever harvested in the five years
or so combined that I have tried growing them.

I think it is the chicken scat fertilizer. I switched to
it from the fish head fertilizer this year. I have always
fertilized. Apparently, not with the right stuff.

I did this because two years ago, the local farm that moved
on me used chicken scat to fertilize with and their tomatoes
were out of this world. Last year they used fish poop water
and their yield was low and their tomatoes tasted nasty.
So, I deliberately sought out organic fertilizer that had
chicken scat in it. Bingo!

I blanched about half of them and stuck them in the freezer.
The others I made into to rat-uh-two-ee. Froze half of it too.
Used my own egg plant. Still had about five zukes left over
for the crisper drawer!

-T

9-1/2. So much for past glory! I have five in
the crisper from last week, so I should have a good time
with the cooking again this week.

:-)

One of my largest plants has some of its leaves die off.
They were covered in white powder. Found some squash bug eggs
on the underside of one dying leaf (crushed them). I searched
high and low for the additional eggs, but couldn't find any.
I cut off the branched on the leaves with dying leaves and
tosses them in the bin.

9