Old 12-09-2014, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default when to best prune hyssop

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:19:00 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

I just used the hedge trimmer to cut dead flowers and long stalks off of
a well established hyssop, and to give it a better shape. It's still
blooming a little bit. But does anyone know when's the right time to
cut it back hard?

That's a big one! Any time from now until spring.

Great, thanks!

I can't keep any of those Mediterranean woody labiates going very long,
because they all die from root-rot. It's generally a good idea to renew
them regularly, and layering works well. But whether 'not very long' is
5 years or 50 is entirely dependent on the conditions. I should do
better, with well-drained soil, but I don't - and I am pretty sure that
it's some unidentified fungus.

I don't doubt it. I've tried hyssop many times in the ground, even in
very dry and well drained soil with just the results you describe. But
this one is in a "wall", sort of a low stone barrier that's hollow in the
middle, and it dries out in about 5 minutes. Mostly I have sedums,
mexican fleabane, thymes growing in it. The hyssop loves it, but I do
have to water in high summer (well except for this year).

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy