Old 13-09-2014, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Feelin' Screwed ...

On 9/12/2014 3:10 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Turns out that NONE of the tomato seeds I bought at Walmart that were
supposed to be beefsteak actually are ... We got cherry tomatoes , and we
like them , but that's not what I wanted to plant . The rest are a
run-of-the-mill medium tomato , average about tennis ball to baseball size .
And they're good , much better than store-bought . But they're not what I
wanted ... so next year guess where I'm NOT going to buy seeds ?
I need to find a local "seed bank" of local growers , I figure that's the
best way to get plants that do well up here . And i have a bunch of seeds
saved to swap . Plus , I've got volunteer bok choy growing in the garden now
, and just yesterday I scattered some spimach and romaine seeds from the
early crop this year . Now if we can nurse these tomatoes along a while
longer we'll have some more nice salads .

Happened to my father years ago with seedlings he bought somewhere.

I only have a half dozen plants on my deck as garden got shaded out and
deer run rampant.

I had three different varieties of tomatoes this year and got a bumper
crop. Two were grown from seeds of a tomato that guy up the road sold
and told me they were heirlooms that he grew every year. Plants were
just as productive as seedlings I bought.

Weather was key this year and I had more than wife and I could handle
and I had to freeze several quarts for the first time in years. I also
fertilized a lot more than normal. I've probably played around growing
tomatoes for 50 summers and I learn something new every year.