Old 13-09-2014, 07:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Darkside Darkside is offline

Default Growing moss etc on galvanized fence

In article ,
newshound writes
On 10/09/2014 20:48, David Hill wrote:
On 10/09/2014 17:33, N_Cook wrote:
On 10/09/2014 08:02, john t west wrote:
We are having to install a new security fencing around our allotment.

Its very bright shiny galvanized finish is a bit overpowering. Is there
any way to encourage moss etc to grow on it to get it to blend in more?

The recommended route to encourage lichen for new-build , in
conservation areas , is to slap on, as near as natural yoghurt that you
can find, ie no flavourings/preservatives etc

Strange, in the old days it was liquid cow dung, but then to me there is
little difference.

As others have said, I don't think either will work on zinc.

It's not the zinc that's the problem: the common mosses Bryum dichotomum
and Bryum argenteum will happily grow on galvanised steel. The problem
is they can't cling to vertical surfaces. You'll probably find them on
the horizontal parts of the fence once they've had time to grow large
enough to notice.
Lichens do better on smooth vertical because they weigh less but they
grow at a rate of millimetres a year. Any growth would be happier once
the zinc has oxidised to a rougher surface, or if you paint it and let
the paint film get a bit flaky.
--
Sue ]