Old 16-09-2014, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Eucalyptus

On 2014-09-16 07:31:00 +0000, Pam Moore said:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:11:19 +0200, Charlie2
wrote:

I have a Eucalyptus tree in my garden approx. six inch girth trunk 14
foot high and I've cut down all of the high foliage to 10 feet.

Q: I was told its hard to kill off a Eucalyptus so bear in mind there
are no branches up to the 10ft height. What I want to do is to cut the
trunk at six foot and hope side shoots will come out then keep them
trimmed allow them to thicken up hopefully keep it more like a bush than
tree. The alternative is to purchase a couple of Koala's for which I
would build a open kennel for them to come and go as they please,
hopefully go in to the tree and not walkabout ( I hate to see cages
animals).
Many thanks.

Beware
I had a eucalyptus which grew to about the same size as yours and with
no branches low down. I cut it back to 6 ft and it died. I cannot
remember now, but I think maybe I did it in the Autumn and maybe
Spring would be better. Sorry to be vague.

I don't know this but it may be better to do it in stages? I planted a
young Eucalyptus hedge and when I wasn't looking, an overenthusiastic
gardener took the top 6" off each one and they very nearly died. I
remember David Poole saying later that we should have let them get
going for at least 2 years first. It's possible they prefer little at
a time, maybe.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com