Old 17-09-2014, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
soup[_8_] soup[_8_] is offline

Default Drainage tap

On 17/09/2014 07:24, Derek wrote:
Is there a reason
for a need to have the trough so wet? that way you get the plants
being irrigated, I guess that is its wanted to have some water
sitting in the bottom

Thinking about it yes, but it needn't be so deep instead of 4" of
stones we could use 1" of stones as long as the plant pots have
something to sit on.

Plant roots grow through the drain holes on the bottom of the pot(s)
and reach the water in the stones (that way they don't need watered
every day and if a watering is forgotten it is mot a catastrophe) . 4"
was chosen initially as that was the way neighbours had theirs but
thinking of how it works 1" would be perfectly adequate, now I just
need to tell #2son it's been wrong all this time.

Disclaimer:- I am not a Gardener (who said that's obvious?) but my son
is. He has himself a placement/training course out at Kevock garden
plants [1](not bad since the doctors said he would never talk/walk ,
everything is not rosy in his life but he is doing a LOT better than
initially thought) so we tend to indulge his Gardening.

[1] http://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/