Old 17-09-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Slug nematodes

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:21:55 +0200, Bigal
wrote:

I have read of a way to make your own slug nematodes. One bucket with
a cover to which is added 2 inches of water, a pile of greens edible to
slugs, and about 20 slugs. Ensure sufficient greenery so that the slugs
don't drown. If all the slugs have died within 3 weeks the chances are
that it has been caused by nematodes. All you need is one slug to be
infected with nematodes. Tip the water into a watering can and top up
with water and use it to water your garden.

But don't do it on a still warm windless evening unless you have no
sense of smell. The odour of comfrey " tea "compost doesnt even come
close.
I walked up our small village road one evening this summer wondering
why I could smell dung spreading out of season the pong getting worse
as I neared home. My missus can be a bit unconventional but I thought
she had finally flipped when upon reaching the gate I observed her
spraying a Honeysuckle air freshener spray over, --- a real
Honeysuckle and plants along a fence. Our neighbour then appeared
over the fence and asked if I seen any tankers emptingy any septic
tanks at the antisocial time of early evening as with all her windows
open the smell had filled her house. Minutes before she had asked the
same question of my missus fortunately not realising that the pong had
come from the slug mixture just poured out from the watering can she
was holding. Took about two days to clear,I'm not sure if any slugs
were killed or they just moved to get away from the stink.

G.Harman