Old 18-09-2014, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ideas for our garden

On 9/18/2014 8:45 AM, Kai_63 wrote:
We want to make our garden a bit prettier. Key challenges are to:

1) Remove the shed (we have alternative storage space)
2) Replace the shed with an eating dining area
3) Hide the back brickwall
5) Find a way to hide or improve the cracked concrete that makes up the
path and the ground where the shed currently is

A few challenges to achieving this are that we don't want to undertake
heavy work such as removing the concrete because we don't have a side
access. We don't want to create any high levels as we are planning on
having children soon and want to make it safe.

Here is a link to see the garden.

'Garden | Garden | Pinterest' (http://tinyurl.com/lwpnuh6)

Any help would be much appreciated.

#3: Plant an evergreen vine. Or, if the wall does not offend you too
much, try a deciduous flowering vine. Not knowing your climate, I
cannot suggest a vine. Visit a local plant nursery and ask there.
Visit a public garden and see what they have planted.

#4: This is missing.

#5: I would break the concrete more, leaving large, irregular pieces.
Then pry the pieces apart 1-2 inches, including where there are
pre-existing cracks; this will leave an irregular edge to the walk.
Plant an aromatic ground cover (e.g., creeping thyme) in the gaps and
around the edges. (Some people pay a lot of money to bring in broken
concrete for this.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see