Old 19-09-2014, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Ideas for our garden

On Thursday, September 18, 2014 3:20:28 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 9/18/2014 8:45 AM, Kai_63 wrote:

We want to make our garden a bit prettier. Key challenges are to:

1) Remove the shed (we have alternative storage space)

2) Replace the shed with an eating dining area

3) Hide the back brickwall

5) Find a way to hide or improve the cracked concrete that makes up the

path and the ground where the shed currently is

A few challenges to achieving this are that we don't want to undertake

heavy work such as removing the concrete because we don't have a side

access. We don't want to create any high levels as we are planning on

having children soon and want to make it safe.

Here is a link to see the garden.

'Garden | Garden | Pinterest' (http://tinyurl.com/lwpnuh6)

Any help would be much appreciated.

#3: Plant an evergreen vine. Or, if the wall does not offend you too

much, try a deciduous flowering vine. Not knowing your climate, I

cannot suggest a vine. Visit a local plant nursery and ask there.

Visit a public garden and see what they have planted.

#4: This is missing.

#5: I would break the concrete more, leaving large, irregular pieces.

Then pry the pieces apart 1-2 inches, including where there are

pre-existing cracks; this will leave an irregular edge to the walk.

Plant an aromatic ground cover (e.g., creeping thyme) in the gaps and

around the edges. (Some people pay a lot of money to bring in broken

concrete for this.)

As usual, David is courteous ...

I was also going to suggest a vine for the brick wall. A brick wall is a valuable thing! Depending on your climate, even just plain ivy would do well, if not too much sun exposure. But if you'd like a flowering vine --that might grow quickly -- your local nursery is the best place to ask. Having viewed your brick wall in pic, I'd strongly endorse the vine option.

If you don't have access to a nursery, go on-line, remembering that you MUST
specify climate, rainfall, sun exposure, quality of soil, etc. to get helpful input.

David's advice about broken concrete with low-growing ground cover in between is doable. I actually opted for dymondia to make a path to a gate, even though it will take several years for it to blend into a sturdy, walkable mat, temporarily interspersed w/left-over concrete bits. (If I had put in more plants, it would have taken shorter time.)

Not sure I get it about "no side access". Pic doesn't show where the path BEGINS, only where it butts into the brick walls. Where does it go?

Project need not disable "access" for more than a day or two, if you bring in a crew, or even some sturdy teenagers to cut up the concrete. You can pile up the surplus concrete pieces somewhere out of the way while you advertise it for free pickup.

Meantime the ground cover will be growing among the pieces of the path you design.

Why can't you just walk on the grass while the path is being rebuilt?

If don't want to go for the broken concrete-cum-ground cover bit, you may have to bring in a crew to cut up & remove. Then put in pavers that have holes to allow plants to go through. Or get hold of some old bricks and plant between them. Since this is only a footpath rather than a driveway, there are many alternatives.

Replacing shed with casual dining area (and nice big umbrella or permanent canopy) is a dynamite idea. Try not to skimp on quality if possible, as sun deteriorates outdoor furniture fast (again, depending on how much sun you get).

If I might suggest: Taller plants against the fence to the L. in the pic.

HTH

HB