Old 19-09-2014, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ideas for our garden

On 19/09/2014 20:08, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

As usual, David is courteous ...

I was also going to suggest a vine for the brick wall. A brick wall
is a valuable thing! Depending on your climate, even just plain ivy
would do well, if not too much sun exposure. But if you'd like a
flowering vine --that might grow quickly -- your local nursery is the
best place to ask. Having viewed your brick wall in pic, I'd
strongly endorse the vine option.

I assume the OP is in the UK. That brick wall is not his property, and,
without the permission of the owner, he cannot do anything to it without
risking legal action. He might get away with planting ivy or, another
self-clinging plant at the base of the wall, and hope they grow up it,
but that's all. No hooks, wire, trellis, or even paint. In any case,
it would take years for any self-clinging climbing plant to cover a wall
of that size..

Not sure I get it about "no side access". Pic doesn't show where the
path BEGINS, only where it butts into the brick walls. Where does it
go?

What the OP means is that all the houses in the street are joined to
each other without any gaps at the side, so it is not possible to bring
in any earth-moving equipment or gardening materials by that route.The
path will end at the back door of the house; in the UK this is almost
invariably the door from the kitchen to the garden. So any materials for
the garden have to be brought through the front door, usually along a
hall, into the kitchen, and then out into the garden.

--

Jeff