Old 25-09-2014, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Slug eats slug

On 25/09/2014 16:41, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Spider
writes
On 25/09/2014 09:09, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Judith in
England writes

I salted a slug this afternoon on the garden path.

I was most surprised to see another couple of slugs eating it just
now!!

Perhaps they were just having a meal off the slime rather than eating
the body:
but they were definitely tucking in.

Never seen that before.

Several species are carnivores and will eat other slugs.

I saw what appeared to be 2 slugs feeding on a snail the other day.
What's more, my impression was that the snail was still alive.

Somehow "nature red in tooth and claw" doesn't seem very appropriate :-)

I know what you mean. The pace of it is so languid that it has none of
the raw urgency of animal and some bird kills. Further, the claw is
missing, but whether we can call the rasping mouthparts of gastropods
"teeth", I'm not so sure.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London