Old 26-09-2014, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default That old chestnut .. and spiders

On 26/09/2014 12:22, Spider wrote:
Having dotted a few conkers (horse chestnuts) around the house to deter
the spider Pholcus phalangioides, and noting that not much has changed,
should I be using sweet chestnuts instead? Does anyone here know?

We seem to be plagued with Pholcus spiders which make lots of messy web
and in hard-to-reach places. When they're tiny, they're almost
impossible to see then, suddenly, they're everwhere I look.

I know chestnut oil based sprays are on the market, but would prefer to
use the free fruit if possible. Well, I do come from Yorkshire! ;~).

Never heard of Horse chestnut as a spider deterrent only as an
alternative to Mothballs.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay